Welcome to DOT ITS Knowledge Resources
Intelligent transportation systems (ITS) provide a proven set of strategies for advancing transportation safety, mobility, and environmental sustainability by integrating communication and information technology applications into the management and operation of the transportation system across all modes. This website presents summaries on the benefits, costs, deployment levels, and lessons learned for ITS deployment and operations from over 20 years of ITS evaluation studies, research syntheses, handbooks, journal articles, and conference papers tracking the effectiveness of deployed ITS.
Browse Resource Databases
- Added: 12/06/2016 - In-vehicle adaptive stop display results in more compliant behavior compared to the traditional stop sign.
- Added: 12/06/2016 - Between 80 and 87 percent of users of the South Dakota Regional Traveler Information System for WRTM found the information valuable.
- Added: 12/06/2016 - Adaptive signal control systems that use connected vehicle data at a penetration rate of 60 percent can reduce average vehicle delay up to 60 percent under low demand scenarios.
- Added: 12/05/2016 - Evaluation of an In-Vehicle Active Traffic and Demand Management System finds that 73 percent of participants favor the technology
- Added: 12/05/2016 - Transit Smart Card fare payment has ability to significantly reduce time buses spend waiting at bus stops for passengers to board.
- Added: 12/05/2016 - Volunteer drivers equipped with CV technologies saw immediate value in queue warning applications whereas the value of speed harmonization was not clear to them.
- Added: 12/04/2016 - Presence of pedestrian countdown signals in Michigan reduces crashes involving pedestrians age 65 years and older by 65 percent.
- Added: 12/02/2016 - HOV to HOT lane conversions can improve travel times and travel time reliability in Express Lanes although impacts on general purpose lanes are mixed.
- Added: 11/16/2016 - Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) systems can reduce the number of moderate to severe injuries in head-on collisions by 73 percent.
- Added: 11/06/2016 - Intelligent vehicle charging infrastructure has potential to exhibit as much as $420 annual savings per electric vehicle.
- Added: 11/06/2016 - HOV to HOT Lane conversion results in 22 percent reduction in annual vehicle hours of delay.
- Added: 11/04/2016 - Most professional truck drivers interviewed in Ohio and California expressed favorable views of on-board connected vehicle safety applications installed on Class 8 commercial vehicles.
- Added: 11/04/2016 - Simulation models show that a network of connected vehicles that support platoon-based intersection management applications can reduce average travel times by 30 percent when traffic volume is high.
- Added: 11/04/2016 - Simulation models show that a network of connected vehicles that support platoon-based intersection management applications can reduce fuel consumption by more than 20 percent when traffic volume is high.
- Added: 11/04/2016 - Prototype pedestrian warning system has potential to minimize noise pollution.
- Added: 10/31/2016 - Commuters receiving reliability information were on-time 6 percent more frequently than commuters without reliability information
- Added: 10/31/2016 - Pedestrian detection system sufficiently warns driver before collision with pedestrian in 69 percent of cases.
- Added: 10/31/2016 - Fuel optimization framework has ability to reduce fuel use in the vicinity of signalized intersections by up to 32 percent.
- Added: 10/31/2016 - Advisory Variable Speed Limit System in Portland, Oregon reduces speed variation and the number of crashes in the area.
- Added: 10/28/2016 - Real-time automated passenger counter data enables responsiveness to periods of high and low demand for light rail.
- Added: 10/28/2016 - Intelligent advanced warnings of end-of-green at signalized intersections led to more stopping and milder deceleration compared to no warnings.
- Added: 10/28/2016 - Statewide Traveler Information System in New York estimated to reduce up to 767 kg/day of vehicle CO emissions, amongst other emissions.
- Added: 10/28/2016 - Variable speed limits have safety benefits and a homogenizing effect, but a German study found no increase in freeway capacity.
- Added: 10/28/2016 - In Smart Zone work zones, 71 percent of local resident survey respondents found variable speed limit signs useful.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Deployed ACS Lite near Columbus, Ohio saves $88,400 in operations while increasing network volumes.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Deployment of HOT lanes reduced travel times by 10 minutes during A.M. peak and 19 minutes during P.M. peak.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Adaptive traffic signal system reduces travel times by 1 to 4 percent on a congested arterial.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Conversion of HOV facilities to HOT facilities finds a benefit-cost ratio of 2.19, with benefits primarily derived from improved safety.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Brake assist systems and autonomous emergency braking systems were able to avoid vehicle-pedestrian crashes 12 percent and 42 percent of the time, respectively.
- Added: 09/12/2016 - Broadcasting information from sensors and vehicles regarding status of on-street parking spaces reduces cruising time by 5-10 percent.