Welcome to DOT ITS Knowledge Resources
Intelligent transportation systems (ITS) provide a proven set of strategies for advancing transportation safety, mobility, and environmental sustainability by integrating communication and information technology applications into the management and operation of the transportation system across all modes. This website presents summaries on the benefits, costs, deployment levels, and lessons learned for ITS deployment and operations from over 20 years of ITS evaluation studies, research syntheses, handbooks, journal articles, and conference papers tracking the effectiveness of deployed ITS.
Browse Resource Databases
- Added: 04/20/2017 - Dynamic ramp metering strategies designed to actively counter developing bottlenecks can reduce vehicle delay up to 48 percent on busy freeways.
- Added: 04/18/2017 - Simulation models show that collision warning systems with full auto-brake and pedestrian detection features can reduce pedestrian fatalities by 24 percent.
- Added: 04/11/2017 - Verify data collection and equipment reliability when implementing a mileage-based user fee program that uses smartphones.
- Added: 04/07/2017 - Pavement friction sensors should target travel lanes instead of shoulder areas where wet pavement can persist causing VSL systems to reduce traffic speeds without the need.
- Added: 04/07/2017 - The City of Miami Beach estimated the cost to retrofit a TMC to monitor traffic conditions, compile data, and disseminate real-time traffic and parking information would cost $331,000.
- Added: 03/29/2017 - Consider the spatial environment in which a wireless technology is planned to assure signal reception will be sufficient to support V2I applications.
- Added: 03/29/2017 - Implementation of electronic logging devices in commercial vehicles with onboard communications devices to cost $5 to $10 per vehicle.
- Added: 03/29/2017 - When implementing a web responsive framework that leverages DSRC technology to expedite CMV weigh station bypass, ensure consistent communications between the driver’s mobile device application and the vehicle’s OBU.
- Added: 03/28/2017 - FHWA national study finds intersection conflict warning systems reduce total crashes by 27 percent for two-lane at two-lane intersections
- Added: 03/28/2017 - Fuel efficiency test of platooning technology near Salt Lake City reports a 10 percent fuel consumption reduction for the trailing tractor trailer and 4.5 percent reduction for the lead tractor trailer
- Added: 03/27/2017 - Emphasize financial sustainability in concept development. Keep long-term funding goals in mind when tailoring a concept to meet a short-term budget.
- Added: 03/24/2017 - Delay savings benefit-to-cost ratio of 8.5:1 found with deployment of a traffic incident management system in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Added: 03/21/2017 - Transit Signal Priority (TSP) logic that resolves conflicting TSP requests can reduce bus intersection delay up to 57 percent compared to conventional first-come-first-serve TSP strategies.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Deploying advanced wayfinding technologies in transit agencies present communications, legal, institutional, and technical challenges
- Added: 02/27/2017 - A mileage-based user fee study in Minnesota generated nearly $38,000 in simulated revenue over six months.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Placing detectors and deploying transit signal priority should be done to maximize benefits for transit vehicles while minimizing delay for other vehicles.
- Added: 02/27/2017 - Motivating forces to cultivate a culture for Real Time Ridesharing, as well as experience in beta testing systems are necessary for the successful adoption of a Ridesharing program
- Added: 02/27/2017 - When implementing congestion pricing, considerations must be made for the impact dynamic tolling will have on travel choice and behavior among a specific region and/or corridor’s travelers.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Future ICM systems will require new technical skill sets. Involve management across multiple levels to help agencies understand each other’s needs, capabilities, and priorities.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Prototype Crash Warning Interface displays for Connected Vehicle-based motorcycle Crash Warning System show considerable promise for implementation.
- Added: 02/17/2017 - Active Traffic Management system installed along I-66 reduces travel times by up to 11 percent and reduces vehicle delay by up to 68 percent
- Added: 02/17/2017 - A mobile weather responsive traffic management system saved the Wyoming DOT more than one person-year of labor costs.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Transit improvements, carpooling campaign, and HOV to HOT conversion demonstration project cost $70,460,779 for capital and $55,896,725 for ongoing maintenance.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Deployment of a new CAD/AVL and voice communication system to cost the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit $21 million.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Transit management system in Chicago reduces larger-than-scheduled bus gaps by nearly 40 percent.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Chicago Transit Authority installs computerized bus-tracking system for 1,800 fleet vehicles for an estimated cost of $8.8 million.
- Added: 02/14/2017 - Following a small-scale launch of a real-time transit information systen in Tampa, 64 percent of users reported spending less time waiting at the bus stop.
- Added: 02/01/2017 - Use a local SQL Lite database with positional data to improve the performance of GIS applications
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Use a modular project structure and focus on high priority objectives and project components when deploying complex ITS projects such as those with connected vehicle technologies.
- Added: 01/31/2017 - Develop a focused outreach plan that identifies all stakeholders, the message appropriate for each stakeholder and the method in which you will reach the stakeholders when embarking on a connected vehicle project.